View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Voted

As usual, lots of grey and white hair at the polling station, and none of my 40-something friends voted
That's the really sad and pathetic thing, that 35% of the population don't even bother to show up. I don't agree with forced voting like in Australia as I think it is part of our freedoms as to whether or not one wants to engage in the political process.

The thing that pisses me off is that the people who don't vote are usually the one's who bitch the loudest. They will say they are not interested in politics to justify it to themselves but they are the first one's to bitch about lines ups at the emergency ward, expensive gas, heavy traffic, bad roads, their kids not being able to get into university, homeless people asking them for change, hydro being too expensive, the bus is late, their subway train is delayed again, crime in their neighbourhood, too many immigrants, their jobs being sent overseas etc, etc, etc. It's amazing and frightening how so many people think that politics and these common complaints have nothing to do with each other.