View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 9, 2009, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwp View Post
Regardless that these barriers exist today, at some point they'll need to be overcome as the City is changing and will - in my opinion - face an inevitable situation where an influx of new, young residents demand more transit options. America is obviously undergoing a paradigm shift with regard to the "green movement" as the younger generations flock back to the city eager to utilize public transit, etc. This will in effect cause two outcomes both intertwined: 1) Increased demand for housing close to public transit and 2) higher public transit ridership rates.

This dynamic will one day - as long as this paradigm shift exists - invariably lead to a need for an improved and expanded mass transit system. Understandably SEPTA will be reactive to this situation, however it'd be wonderful to see proactivity on this issue in the form of planning for additional lines, system changes, blah blah blah.

In addition, as I mentioned before on this thread, I believe an additional line would spur development along that particular corridor, in turn creating even more demand, ridership, etc.

Thoughts?

Subways, while awesome, do not create success and prosperity. People Do.

Philadelphia, as a city, has enormus potential. However, that potential will not be realized until the city genuinley faces it's social demons: (Greedy Unions, Handout mentality, Blatant yet unspoken racism (both Black and White), fear of the new and the different, Seeing ignorance as "authenticity", etc...)

Taxes, SEPTA, Crime, The schools, etc all emulate from the "Block" ideology. As long as my "Block" is okay, then the rest of the city can burn. No foresight.