View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 25, 2023, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
ESP is ground zero for experimentation in incarceration as a punishment in of itself. From the structure to management of prisoners. Every prison around the world follows it's model. Since the prison was built over time, you can see the evolution from cell block to cell block. I wouldn't dismiss it as it's really unique historic attraction. Further, I think in today's society, how and why we incarcerate people is a major issue we are tackling.
Agreed. Their permanent exhibit on mass incarceration is incredibly well done and comes across as being in some ways sort of subversive because you wouldn't necessarily expect to see that kind of content in a place that was part of creating the modern day system in the first place. The exhibit draws a ton of international comparisons making it abundantly clear that the US stands alone in how many people are in prison, for what duration, for what crimes, and how our prisons do nothing to rehabilitate or reintegrate people. I'd much sooner take a foreign visitor to ESP than to the Liberty Bell.