View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 2:53 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
That tends to be the mode of operation for a lot of our cities. They eventually reach a slow down or stagnation (some cased decline) and than folks migrate elsewhere (usually, usually, a big time factor of folks migrating are prices).

I wish that wasn't the case. Ideally, it would be nice if "X" city tried to retain folks or some cases, certain states or metros.

I just wish some of our metros would try to keep folks. Try to stabilize if not reduce prices. Would be nice.

WE NEED more housing, period. Take NJ... the amount of units being built... outside of Hudson County, is paltry, very paltry. Hudson, than Essex, than a massive drop in units, WITH MOST being renovations or alterations. In NJ!

We don't do enough to add housing.
The US usually lets the market decide what happens with few checks and balances in place to guard against negative outcomes. I'm assuming this is no different. Is there no robust system to ensure affordable housing in cities where prices are high? Poorer people just move away? It bears mentioning that Canada hasn't been able to solve our affordable housing crisis either despite building a ton of residential..... alot of which is social housing.

Another thing that baffles me is why more housing isn't built. There's obviously demand so I guess developers feel they can't make money at lower price points?