View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Wait.

You're saying that having a net domestic loss, along with a rapidly aging population is a good thing? That 15k-30k figure most likely is representing young people, just starting off - entering the workforce - they are leaving the state. Those young people were yesterday's creators/innovators and they're leaving. That's a good thing?

3 earners [roomies] making 30k/year - $14.42/hour [that's less than minimum wage in most parts of California these days and significantly lower than Bank of America's Minimum wage of $20/hour] is a household income of 90k.

Who exactly is going to pay for all those social services in California when there are 9 million people over the age of 66?

-----

Side note: I might be confusing you with another person that lives in Asia that was considering a move back to the states, but you, or whomever it was ruled out California because of the extreme high cost of living, despite their wife loving it so much.
Yup, that’s me!

Just to clear things up, my post was indeed a tongue and cheek agreement with badrunner’s wet dream comment. The chart he posted clearly shows a sizable majority of Californians moving to Texas are low income individuals.

Point is, it seems to me there’s some schadenfreude-esque gloating around CA’s domestic “exodus” to other states. Particularly among the right leaning GOP political class, who present a bunch of talking-point reasons for the population loss. But the end results for CA we are watching actually happen are something these very right-leaners would love to see in their own areas. The end results, mind you, not the process: fewer poor minorities, more rich people. And to add to that irony, the poor people leaving CA are headed to places like Texas, which are governed by GOP administrations, and where a lot of the smug schadenfreude over this whole issue comes from in the first place. It’s somehow fitting.