View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 25, 2021, 4:05 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
It's not like they were going to build this thing downtown. Anyway, Hutto is already cookie-cutter subdivisions. I'd rather have this thing out in the far reaches of the Austin metro than closer to town. The horrible congestion will arise mostly during construction of this beast. The employee headcount is only projected to be 2,000 to 2,500.
The whole east side of the metro is a clusterphuck. I babysat my sister's kids out in Del Valle over the weekend so my sister and brother in law could go see Ghostbusters Afterlife, and we had forgotten that weekend was the weekend of the Rolling Stones concert at COTA. The traffic was absolutely insane. It looked like everyone in the city was trying to get out. We passed a CapitolMetro bus that was standing room only.

I've also had my fill of cookie cutter suburbs for a while. They're sold their house in Del Valle and are building a new one in Cedar Creek, but right now they're renting while it's being built. While their old house was actually pretty nice, the yards were tiny, there were no trees, the HOAs are Nazis, and the neighborhood is pretty blah. I spent several nights over the last month there spending the night, and during the day while also staying there, I felt like was on a deserted island or a small patch of green in the desert. It's very isolated - being a few miles east of the airport. The rental house they're in now is downright awful. On the first night of helping them move in, my brother in law said he already hated it. That place has a decent yard, though, those places have horrible drainage because of the clay like soil, so it basically floods your yard when it rains hard. It's clear to me that developers are just throwing up thousands of houses with little thought about the fact that people and families will be calling them home. Imagine a neighborhood where you have to drive to and from it to the city every day, the street is narrow, the driveways short and the yards narrow, so that even if you do have more than 1 car, you'll barely have room for it in front of your house, and anyone who is visiting will likely have to park down the street. What's interesting is, that house sits on a dead end street that overlooks a field and vacant land that continues on for 8 to 10 miles until you get to Cedar Creek.