View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
Im Kinda soso with ya there. I dont think Burnett has much of one being away on the edge of town and on the edge of the park. Carter+Burgess definitly has no scale,and has no street level appeal,but it does look nice from the street level looking up almost everywhere in the city. The CC towers both have a futuristic feel to the base,with the crazy shape and glassed in escalotors and the huge Metel columns. I thing its street level is great,its just different. I know it wanst mentioned,but The Tower's has improved greatly since the tornado,it fits in yet stands out.

My problem with all of these is their utterly massive parking garages
Burnett Plaza's a piece of junk, always has been, but what really rankles about it was that they tore down the Medical Arts Building, a GORGEOUS 18-story '20s tower that engaged the street like an urban building should and was much more gracefully massed to avoid smothering the area with giant slab-osity. That area's a dead zone *because* of Burnett Plaza's presence.

C+B is deadly dull, and the only redeeming quality of it is that it's finally getting some proper street-level outward-facing retail retrofitted onto it, in the form of a new restaurant called Grace. Of course, they also tore down some outstanding historic buildings with proper street interaction to build that slab of modern dreariness - the Aviation Building, an awesome Art Deco tower, and the old Palace Theater, which was Streamline Moderne.

The City Center Towers actually bother me most at ground level. I loathe the pedestrian experience around those buildings. Those pods that drop down, and all the pitch-black nooks and crannies - it's awful urban design. Thank Paul Rudolph, who is a strong contender for the title of Worst Architect In American History.

I would have torn down the Tower as well, prior to its makeover. Now, it's a fine member of the streetscape.