View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 12, 2013, 9:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Monctonrad: do you know if there are any plans for AC to add a direct flight from Moncton to St. John's? I'd much rather drive to Moncton to catch a flight than all the way to Halifax. I think it'd make sense to start some sort of flight path between the two, especially with the cities both growing at such quick rates.
There used to be a direct CanJet flight between Moncton and St. John's when CanJet used to be a scheduled airline. I believe it was quite popular. There is a bit of a Newfoundland ex pat community here in Moncton.

There is interest in re-establishing a St. John's - Moncton direct flight route. I know that the GMIA has been in negotiations with the St. John's International Airport. The GMIA has also been polling the local business community to see if they would use the service. I don't know what the results of the survey are.

I don't think Air Canada is interested in offering the service however. It would be a major violation of their "hub and spoke" principle requiring all passenger to pass through hub cities like Halifax, Montreal or Toronto.

If this service is ever to occur, I think you would have to look towards Porter or perhaps WestJet's new regional service. In either case, what I think you might see happening is the establishment of a new St. John'-Moncton-Toronto route. I think this would be a very real possibility.