Thread: Found Detroit
View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 5:03 PM

^For me personally what I find special about that shot of the Hubbard Farms neighborhood with The Ambassador Bridge in the background is a combination of the lighting and the character of the area. Hubbard Farms is the western most edge of S.W. Detroit a neighborhood that has defies traditional Detroit trends and images.

It’s the most diverse district of the city while working class whites have been displaced by Hispanics as the majority they still have a strong presence in certain areas such as there is also a growing middle eastern community around the border with Dearborn.

Ascetically the district has a different character to the rest of the city it has a much higher concentration of row houses and apartments then the rest of the city giving it a bit of an east coast industrial city vibe.

Lastly on S.W. Detroit has bucked the population decline trend of many other outter neighborhoods and has been constantly growing for decades.

That Ambassador Light up by an orange sky with a dense little neighborhood infilled with new construction loomed over by a historic church is cool n all but with SW being possibly the least photographed but most interesting areas of the city makes it all the more sweet. Speaking for myself of course

Michigan Central exterior progress

Regg Life

Here’s a 2009 shot of Hubbard Farms - Mexican Town area the best newish shot I could find

Isabella Achenbach - The Boston Art Review

Bridge Fan