View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Frivolous spending is frivolous by definition, not just because I say so.
Actually it's more subjective than objective. Everybody has a different idea of what they consider to be frivolous or not.

And some of it is just your 'say so', as there are benefits that aren't easily defined by simple data. For example, the skating oval that you are eager to criticize is a good way to get people out and active in the winter, when they would otherwise probably be sitting inside watching TV or participating in some other sedentary activity. Getting into the habit of skating outside can have spinoff effects of encouraging people to generally be more active in the winter, which has benefits to physical and mental health and thus takes some strain off of our healthcare system (which is translatable to tax dollars). We know intuitively that this is the case, but it is difficult to reflect by data, and nobody will likely ever conduct a thorough study of it. But regardless of whether it actually results in a financial advantage (which I imagine is your main measure of frivolity), if it provides an emotional benefit to Halifax's citizens, I would subjectively judge it as not being frivolous.

Quote:
I would hope that a full analysis of cost and demand for such a facility would occur first.
One should expect this with each and every project. Demand can be difficult to predict unless a precedent has been set. I would be interested in the inventory study you refer to, if you can provide a link to it.

Besides, in a brainstorming sense, a museum is just an idea that I had because I'm aware that the Dartmouth museum disappeared years ago when the old city hall/library/museum structure at Wyse and Windmill was deemed uninhabitable and then torn down. With this iconic (for Dartmouth) post office building now coming available, that appears to be in a good state of repair (haven't heard otherwise), I suspect it would be a good candidate for HRM to get a good deal from the feds (if HRM was on the ball) given that it would be used as a public benefit (speculation on my part). ...Of course HRM hasn't had the vision to figure out what to do with the old Halifax library main branch building yet, so I don't hold out much hope for my idea ever coming to fruition.

OK then... no musuem? Fine, but that doesn't mean there should be no other use for it other than tearing it down and building yet another nondescript residential apartment building there. That building adds interest and character to the neighborhood, and I would suggest keeping it and creating a new purpose for it would be a benefit to those who live in its vicinity and anybody else who cares about such things.