View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 7:02 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
electricron, you seem to be pretty well informed on train standards. To go off topic (only slightly) for a bit, do you know anything about Lone Star Rail (planned service from Austin to San Antonio)? Just curious of your thoughts on it.
The 118 mile Lone Star commuter rail future depends upon finding funds to pay for UP to build a bypass line around Austin, then buy and upgrade the existing UP line between San Antonio and Georgetown for commuter rail. The projected costs for the upgrades to the 118 mile corridor is from $1.8 Billion to $2.5 Billion. That doesn't include the capital costs for the new bypass. The bypass line is projected cost can't be determined yet because the specific route and length of corridor to be built hasn't been determined. A Federal EIS encompassing both the freight and commuter rail corridors is underway, which should answer the questions of where, how long, and how much? I have no idea when the EIS will be completed because a lot of routing questions will need to be answered.

Assuming Lone Star can get a 50% federal match for capital finances, it will still need to find a more dependable source for the local match, and later operation and maintenance expenses. So far, there isn't a funding source in place to meet all the local financial demands. The federal funds will not come until the local funds are found. They been using TIFF (property taxes increases) funds from local cities to fund all the studies. $10 million is 1% of a $1 Billion, and less than 0.5% of $2 Billion. I don't see local TIFF taxes generating enough funding to pay the local share. Some supporters hope TXDOT will step in and fund a significant share of both the freight rail bypass and commuter rail upgrades. TXDOT to date hasn't spent more than $20 million on many rail project in the past. I think it is foolish to believe TXDOT will suddenly grant Lone Star $1 Billion and solved their local funding problems. Therefore, this project has many hurdles to overcome, I sincerely believe too many.

I suppose I should express an opinion on the OKC to Monterrey HSR (I-35) corridor. Another EIS is underway on it, with TXDOT participating in funding the study. TXDOT recently completed another EIS studying rail upgrades for the US 80 routing of the Texas Eagle too. That study identified curves needing refurbishment on the existing UP corridor to upgrade maximum speeds to 90 and 110 mph, and number of passing siding required for expanded passenger service (like to Shreveport). Costs were estimated depending upon the upgrades to be performed. No capital funding to improve any tracks east of Dallas has been made by TXDOT. None are planned. Likewise, I believe TXDOT will treat I-35 rail routing the same as US-80 rail routing. Specifically, pay for the study, expect someone else to pay the capital costs for any rail upgrades. Therefore, the past results of these EIS studies has been lining up the political, legal, and environmental approvals for federal funds that might be granted to any specific upgrade project, like a new bridge here, improvements at intersections for implementing quiet zones there, adding a specific passing siding over there, etc - matched by local funding sources and not specifically by the state.

I don't see either Texas or Oklahoma spending money on this rail line without a significant increase in the number of passenger trains on this corridor, Two daily trains isn't enough trains to make the costs for the entire corridor worthwhile. Oklahoma recently sold the rail corridor it had owned between OKC and Tulsa. Texas recently paid to fix tracks in an existing freight corridor to Presidio. But, I believe smaller projects to keep the existing trains running as is at a much smaller costs to the states is possible.

FYI = Oklahoma City to Tulsa = 106 miles.
Lone Star Rail would be a longer rail line.

Last edited by electricron; Sep 1, 2015 at 7:41 AM.