View Single Post
Old Posted May 20, 2020, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
For biomass, I don't see any reasonable argument for it, so I take no issue with the movie on that. Even the article you quoted doesn't have anything on that aspect.
The article didn't go into it. But I'll call it out. It's almost as ignorant as the solar stuff. There's lifecycle emissions accounting and we just how much biomass adds. It's orders of magnitude closer to carbon neutral than say an oil, gas or coal power plant. It's not perfect. But then again, there's no magic bullet for renewable power. Storing wind and solar power overnight requires a massive carbon investment in batteries and much higher initial investment at further latitudes from the Equator. The only applicable critique to biomass was from the perspective of forest management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Anyway you look at it though, humans are the prob
The fundamental problem with this being the core of an environmental discussion is that you have to inevitably discuss which humans. The Earth could support 10+ billion if the ecological footprint of those residents was that of an Indian. Can only support 2 billion if the ecological footprint of those residents was on par with the average American.

A vegetarian urban dweller in India has a very different footprint than a suburban dwelling American. Leaving that uncomfortable fact unmentioned provides the cover for all the bigots and those who want to excuse inaction, to blame the masses of the developing world for climate change when most of the carbon in the atmosphere today has been emitted by the developed world. Moore should have known better.