View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 9:31 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
The pedestrian crossing at Capitol and Island looks pretty important. Guessing from Google Maps, it looks like a 1000' gap between Morrison (no crosswalk on the north side!) and Royal. That's an absurd distance in an urban location, especially at a university. Basically it looks like 400' to Royal and 600' to the south side of Morrison.

I haven't lived in Boise since 1985 so don't worry about what I think.
Yes, that is/was a long distance between crossings. It has been unique because the intersection of Ann Morrison Park Drive/University Drive and Capitol Blvd is kind of convoluted especially where Boise Ave meets Capitol heading north and Capitol/University meets Boise Ave heading south. The stretch of Capitol from that intersection to the river has the brick (with the new fence) island that separates north and south bound traffic, so this new crossing is a welcome addition especially with the new fine arts building being built across Capitol opposite of Island Ave. It also gives deer another crossing when they decide to leave the river and greenbelt at BSU and trot to Ann Morrison Park

I don't think there was a need for a pedestrian crossing between the AMPD/UD/CB intersection and the greenbelt tunnel under the bridge until recently because of the rapid apartment growth and gentrification in the Lusk neighborhood. Before the change in the Lusk hood, most of BSU's campus was accessed from the greenbelt, University Drive and Broadway Ave.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse