View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-s View Post
Grant Wood. American Gothic, 1930. Art Institute of Chicago.
Awesome! Thank you so much for contributing. And one of the most iconic American images ever created at that. Well done! I am actually a big fan of the regionalists, and Grant Wood in particular. I always thought they didn't get nearly the acclaim they deserved, and they still don't. Two things going against them: one, they steadfastly refused to evolve as a group. In other words, an early Curry and a late Curry are not very different; whereas an early Titian and a late Titian are totally distingiushable. Two, they were too prolific. They each created volumes of paintings. Volumes. Of course i feel the same way about Picasso, so what do I know.

Anyhow, look for my personal favorite piece of the regionalist movement in the near future. One hint: it isn't American Gothic. If this were a list of the ten most famous pictures in America, Wood's painting would easily be in the top ten. Easily. And I do love this painting, but in my opinion Wood just didn't have the genius of Thomas Hart Benton. Not even close.