View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
The National Broadcaster has become a bullhorn for Immigrant, Indigenous, feminist and victim stories...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
CBC Radio is an odd duck for me. It has no real competition given the state of commercial radio here, yet it seems again and again to pander to a very narrow segment of the public, with the same old voices appearing time and time again, many of which are very fringey.
Couldn't agree more with both of you. The relentless, breathless, cloying, oh-so-earnest pursuit of "victims'" and their tortured journeys to vindication and (*barf*) self-actualization are both nauseating and, worst of all, boring as hell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
Its a shame since the CBC should be the BBC of the Western hemisphere.
Yes, and it could be. If it were up to me, I'd drop CBC TV entirely. With very exceptions, it cannot compete in that medium and it's sickening to watch it try. Nor should it, as a public enterprise, be competing with private broadcasters for ad revenue. And it pains me to watch my taxes going down the toilet on such vapid dreck as Family Feud Canada (I defy anyone with even a room-temperature IQ to endure an entire episode).

We could cut TV and immediately save most of the billion-plus budget, some of which could then be re-applied to radio, where CBC absolutely could and should excel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I remember when Berman first appeared on our TV screens maybe 10-12 years ago. I believe I even commented on it here at the time. I wondered how the heck she ever got a job as a reporter back then - she had no ability to speak on-camera and came across as someone way out of their depths. her story writing was amateurish at best. I assumed she had been parachuted into a reporting position as part of a unionized employee bumping scheme or something.
To be fair, I don't think she ever intended to be a TV reporter but, like all of her colleagues, got dragged into it by CBC's move to economize by standardizing content across all three media (radio, TV, internet). Unfortunately, she was never great on radio in the first place.