View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Ms. Berman has been at this for 35+ years now. She was never particularly insightful and, sadly, only seems to get worse, not better, with age. She's been phoning it in for a very long time. Typically, she only delivers the barest of bones of the what but very, very rarely the why, leaving only more questions. Lazy reporting.

I've always been a CBC Radio disciple but lately I'm finding less and less reason to listen - and that goes for both local and national programming. It's very sad; all the more so because there's virtually no local radio alternative.
I remember when Berman first appeared on our TV screens maybe 10-12 years ago. I believe I even commented on it here at the time. I wondered how the heck she ever got a job as a reporter back then - she had no ability to speak on-camera and came across as someone way out of their depths. her story writing was amateurish at best. I assumed she had been parachuted into a reporting position as part of a unionized employee bumping scheme or something. The sad thing is she hasn't gotten much better in the years since. I get the sense she is just putting in time building up her pension until she can retire comfortably and nobody in management has the desire to deal with the issue.

CBC Radio is an odd duck for me. It has no real competition given the state of commercial radio here, yet it seems again and again to pander to a very narrow segment of the public, with the same old voices appearing time and time again, many of which are very fringey.