View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 11:03 PM
Heavy User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I've hated this tower from the beginning .
I don't care whose tower it is , what country it's in , or how insanely silly it is in financial terms (it will almost certainly never be more than a disastrous drain of funds for as long as it stands) It's simply too big . It doesn't fit in any context .

About the only way you could get something like this to work aesthetically would be to put it somewhere where it is %100 isolated from other buildings . The contrast with the human landscape is what destroys this tower . Put it next to a mountain or even just simply in the middle of the desert and it could work . In any urban setting though ... it's just a disaster .
I agree with you to a point. The only thing is though is that just because it doesn't fit any context right now doesn't mean that it won't fit in context in 20 or 30 years.

The Burj Dubai wouldn't fit in most contexts and yet, I think, it's going to fit in really well in 5-6 years as the city grows around it. Plunk this down in the middle of Paris and of course it'll be out of context, any building greater than 30 floors will but it isn't being built in Paris.

There's something to be said for truly forward thinking construction though. The economic conditions of the future (as in...the next 20 years or so) may or may not sustain this building. They may or may not prove it a worthwhile gamble. I admire that especially if it pays off and it develops a brand new kind of hyper-tall highrise urban fabric in which it really does fit contextually.