View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 5:50 PM

Hance Park Update

I'm glad to see the project moving along and ready for the next phase. The old Trolley Museum is going to be demolished and I still can't believe someone proposed a permanent parking lot on the empty 3rd Ave/Portland lot. I'm glad it got denied...looking for something cool to go here.

Quote:
The construction of the playground and escarpment is moving along according to schedule and should be complete by December. The tunnel deck joint repair work in the Japanese Friendship Garden is complete and crews are pouring concrete around the playground.

The metal structure that used to house the Trolley Museum will be demolished before the end of the year. The Hance Park Conservancy and RAA asked the City if the structure could be reused or incorporated into the revitalization design, but it's located in the middle of where a new parking lot will be, it's not historically significant and the shed-like structure is a safety concern.

The Hance Park Conservancy and the City Parks Department are discussing if there could be a process for groups like RAA to temporarily activate areas of the park that won't be completed for a while. A good example of this could be the vacant lot at 3rd Ave & Portland, which is in the last phase of the revitalization plan. At the August neighborhood meeting, a motion was passed by RAA to oppose a surface parking lot as a primary use and to continue a dialogue to determine the future of the site. If you have ideas for temporary uses, please contact RAA.