View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 7:41 AM
Torontonian Refugee

My face when a car thread on SSP:

And not a single Dodge Caravan in sight! You guys have good taste in vehicles. I love that panoramic shot of Franks' Protege alone in the lot.

At the moment I drive a Saturn LW300. I literally NEVER see these on the road, Saturn L-series are hard to come by in the first place and then on top of that nobody has the V6. Plastic body panels are great for deterring errant shopping carts, and the automatic transmission is most cooperative unit I've ever driven. Lot of good times were had in this car, despite its somewhat staid image I love it dearly.

Old photo from a trip to a friend's cottage:

IMG_2287 by Wharn[cliffe], on Flickr

In Brent, Ontario:

IMG_2097 by Wharn[cliffe], on Flickr

In my townhouse complex:

20130208_135231 by Wharn[cliffe], on Flickr

I don't seem to have many urban shots. I'll have to fix that.

Being a rare car and an orphan brand makes finding parts a little problematic, though. I've resorted to raiding scrapyards. Unfortunately, other L-series owners do the same thing:

20121114_142548copy by Wharn[cliffe], on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
I never owned a car, as I hardly ever drive. I spend most of my time downtown, and take public transit to get there. If I were to buy a car, I would want something that had character. I would definitely buy used, as a depreciating asset like a car isn't really a great investment.
There are tons of older cars that just ooze character, in my opinion. The BMW E34 540i with the 4.0L V8 or the E34 M5 with the delicious inline-6 are 1990s classics. The problem is finding one that hasn't been "modified" by the BMW community. Other classy vehicles include the Mercedes-Benz W124/W126 (preferrably equipped with the OM617 diesel engine, which WILL outlast human civilization if properly maintained), more or less any RWD Volvo, and older Saabs (check the maintenance records carefully on those). If big and American floats your boat, what you want is a 1994-1996 Impala SS (the alarmingly thirsty V8 doesn't matter if you don't drive much). The Mercury Marauder (Grand Marquis on Steroids) is also a good bet. Americans can make a damn fine large car, too bad they sucked so bad at making compacts and mid-sizers.

Where is 240glt? I want to see that... 240 GLT.