View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 8:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
depressing what passes for a tower in Halifax isn't it.
Personally, I wouldn't want suburban office parks to get too big, because the transportation network and transit system isn't very good.

Here in Calgary, the benefit of the LRT is that many suburban employment centres have sprouted up around existing or proposed LRT stations and are being built awaiting construction (one in particular in the SE is awaiting the SE line; which is 20 years away).

When I look at trying to re-focus investment back into the core to strengthen it; I would want to cap most of the suburban office buildings to 5, 7 stories max. If you start letting them get much bigger, you end up hurting the core because cheaper class B and A office space becomes available in the suburbs, where you can have a sea of free parking. Why would you want to be in the core, when you could be in the burbs and park for free?

This is why I've been looking at (as a personal interest) places that are looking at limiting suburban employment centre growth and restricting parking as a step to push people back into the core. So far I'm not finding a lot of positive information.