View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 19, 2016, 5:14 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Cool. I can believe it having been the first one, considering that IMAX is a Canadian company from Ontario. That's also why Toronto was the first city to see a new laser projector being installed.

Why and when did Canada Place IMAX close down and what took its place? I assume the Flying Canada attraction occupies the space now, right?
It closed in 2009. I am guessing that the very things that made true IMAX a difficult business venture contributed to its eventual closing: it is a very difficult and expensive kind of film to produce and was thus only suitable for the occasional high-quality documentary/educational type of film, not the mass production of highly profitable and popular commercial films. Therefore, it was probably losing money. It was fairly popular in Vancouver over the years, but just not popular enough in relation to the expense of running a true IMAX theatre.

But now that Hollywood might be embracing true IMAX, who knows, we might see a resurgence in true IMAX theartres, including a return of the one in Canada Place eventually.

And yes, Fly Over Canada, currently occupies the old IMAX theatre in Canada Place.