View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 1:04 AM
Only Mostly Dead

A gray and rainy day in Tiburon

Tiburon is a small, very expensive town just north of San Francisco. It sits at the end of a small peninsula that separates Richardson Bay from the rest of San Francisco Bay. Last Sunday morning I took a bike ride around the Tiburon peninsula. I'm a mountain biker and don't usually ride on the road, but we've had so much rain here in Northern California that I had little choice – the hills are just too muddy right now. I didn't really intend to take a bunch of pictures, but it's so scenic I couldn't help myself. Anyway, here's a quick bike tour of Tiburon (and a little bit of Belvedere) on a rainy day.

Waterfront and Marina:

Downtown businesses:

My brother admiring a cool tree:

It's a small, sleepy village:

Low tide:

Apparently the Clampetts keep their boat in Tiburon:

Hard to believe this was once a vast railyard:

Houses along the water with some bridge in the background:

These are even more precarious-looking than they appear here:

Most of the houses here have views of the city:

Once the first class saloon on a steam ship then a private residence for 90 years, the China Cabin in Belvedere is now available for social events. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but it's gorgeous inside:

Maybe this is where those boats used to be docked:

Dr. Benjamin F. Lyford had this tower built in 1889. It was envisioned as the grand gateway to a housing development he had planned for the area. His development plan never happened (custom houses are now built there), but some of his street names and the tower he built survived:

View from Lyford Tower:

Inside – Nice day and location for a fire:

Richardson Bay Park:

When not building stone towers, Dr. Lyford was hanging out in this victorian:

The ride on the backside of the peninsula looks mostly like this with bay views off to the right:

Paradise Cay:

The last 5 miles or so, we got dumped on and by the time we got back the view through my glasses looked something like this:

Thanks for stopping by!

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Last edited by peanut gallery; Jan 27, 2010 at 4:10 AM.