View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 8, 2009, 10:24 PM

Very interesting tidbits about the Bimini Baths. I remember reading the LA Times article about it some time ago.

What I'd like to note in the photo you posted:

Notice the wash or creek/arroyo nearby the Bimini Baths. Apparently much of the LA Basin was crisscrossed by these, I assume some even are the result of earthquake faults. Many of these were filled in or graded to be level when developments started being built. Of course some washes still exist and you'll see them in random places, sometimes even within residential neighorhoods, though of course now they're lined with concrete.

But going back to the Bimini Baths, I've read that it was also a big cruising spot for gay men and a place for casual sex. And incidentally, I've also read that the oldest bath house still in existence in LA is in downtown, on 4th Street near Los Angeles Street. It used to be called the Palace Turkish Baths, or something, and was also a place for gay men to have casual sex; I think it's been in existence since at least the 1920s. Currently it's officially a gay bath house called KLYT.

~ Charles Bukowski