View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 1, 2009, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Socko View Post
I was always intrigued by the Brew 102 building as a kid. This was in the mid-1970's, so the building was abandoned by then. It struck me as odd that what seemed to be a popular brand not long ago had disappeared so quickly.

But the Friedman Bag Company remained, and in Sopas' picture above you can see that the multi-colored roof vents referenced earlier in this thread are still there (the building is now a self-storage center).

The gasometers (the huge gas storage tanks) were before my time. I didn't even know they had existed until I saw some historic photos of the area recently!

Anyone interested in the Ambassador Hotel should rent the film "Bobby". It's as much about the Ambassador itself as it is about the assassination of RFK. It was the last film shot on location at the hotel before it was demolished. In fact, the interior furnishings had already been auctioned off, and the production company actually had to buy back some of the items in order to have authentic decor.
Welcome to the thread, Johnny Socko!

You and I must be about the same age, I'm guessing.

Hehe I first saw images of the gas storage tanks in that episode of "I Love Lucy" called "Hollywood at Last" when the Ricardos and Mertzes finally arrive in LA from their road trip across the country. You see them driving into that downtown slot and you can clearly see the storage tanks. I remember as a kid wondering what they were and why they weren't there anymore. Incidentally, you also see them pulling up to their fictional hotel, which in the series was supposed to be in Hollywood but in actuality that building, which still exists, is in Beverly Hills, on Olympic Blvd.

~ Charles Bukowski