View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
That is just so stupid. A presidential library is not a "vanity project".
Great post. The comment by the poster you addressed gives you a glimpse into whats really at the bottom of much of the pushback. For many, it is more about jealousy/resentment/envy towards Obama than it is about any else... and the comment that you adeptly addressed really illustrates that.

Obama -- his legacy is intact. With or without the Jackson Park location I am pretty sure that Barack Obama's life will be just fine. You are not getting him back or hurting him by denying him that location. The guy has lived a charmed life and this whole library thing is not going to change that one iota.

I will say that the Woodlawn real estate market is hot with development in anticipation of the library. Per Steely's argument, I don't believe changing the location will effect that very much. The area is hot and as long there is not a complete pullout things should still be ok regardless of where it goes on the Southeast side.

I just think we should be honest about the whole thing. Many here don't give a flying flip about Jackson Park, have rarely set foot in that park and can't help but recognize that Olmsted's vision was modified and butchered many times over long ago. For many, this is about somehow trying to get back at Obama... trying to stick it to him somehow (ridiculous!)... as evidenced by the poster who preposterously called a Presidential Library a "vanity project".

There is an unspoken undercurrent to whats going on here. Not by all, but by many. For instance, I know Steely's comment was a comment that was fair and should be taken at face value. In fact, his post makes a lot of sense... except that I believe Jackson Park offers the library the best possible location for maximum impact -- something I am in favor of. Reasonable minds can differ on this. But I know his comment came from a good place. Others have made good points too... but sadly, with quite a few.... there is that ugly undercurrent.

Either way, as long as it goes in the general vicinity of the Southeast side, I am a happy camper. I have multiple investments in that general area and I plan to invest even more in the future.