View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 13, 2021, 3:31 PM
Community Guy

Canmore, Alberta - a special place

45 days in and really beginning to understand just how special this place is. I had the opportunity to move here from Edmonton and jumped at the chance to live/work/play in the beautiful Rocky Mountains.

*Canmore is located about an hour west of Calgary, Alberta and 20mins east of Banff.

Population ~14000

----

A former mining town with a rich history.

A favourite bench of mine along the Bow River.

Home to the Canmore Nordic Centre and host of the Calgary 88' nordic events, this is the primary training facility for the national team and an amazing amenity for us non lycra folks.

Home to multiple breweries and a distillery, Canmore has a very active independent beer scene.

Popular for day trips from Calgary and weekend trips for much of Alberta/BC, the influx of people is substantial from Friday around 3pm until Sunday at 3pm.

Main Street

There is a significant resort component to Canmore including Silver Tip (golf) and Three Sisters (golf).

The famous Three Sisters peaks just SE of town.

The main CP Rail line bisects the town.

Outdoor activities including campfires in some areas are welcomed.

In recent years a lot of investment has been made in and around the Downtown to modernize or bring in new options for both residents and visitors. This has caused some friction between retaining the quaint local feel versus a more 'Banff feel'.

Real estate here is insane... with an avg. house price around $800,000.00 and rents often over $2000.00/month for a 2bdrm.

Housing prices and a lack of housing in general has lead to 'vanmore'

Home to many movie shoots over the years, this Church is quite the extra.

The bottom of the reservoir and hydro elec plant.

Our opera house

Main and Main

Rundle Mountain

The beautiful/majestic and very popular Fairmont Banff Springs.

The Town of Banff (6500).

The unbelievable Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise.

The valley is a significant wildlife corridor for many types of animals including this guy/gal.

The are a few quarry operations and a little bit of mining on the eastern edge of the mountain ranges.

My walk home from Downtown

A hike up a creek/canyon 10mins from Downtown

Nearby ski hills include:

Nakiska (Kananaskis)

Mt. Norquay (Banff)

Sunshine

Lake Louise

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers