View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
Good point.....although the idea of LA going head to head with other cities....whether a toronto, chicago, seattle, san francisco....may at first seem a good goal, I see the city as being its own animal.

I wouldn't have said that yrs ago when dtla, midwilshire, hollywood & other older parts of LA were on an extended decline....but I now see the city as a good alternative to traditional urban models where....as you point out.....ppl will visit a dt & not expect much beyond that.

climate plays a part too....the bright sunshine & clear days of LA do affect the city. But even there, who knows exactly what will happen to other ppl & other places? I thought the weather would be reflected in dtla having more rooftop bars & restaurants than a city like NYC....not so....even though such seasonal areas of a business won't be open year round as they can be in LA, NYC still has rooftop places galore.
LA is getting more and more rooftops every year now. It seems like most of the buildings are doing a rooftop in DTLA. Meaning new buildings/renovations. I think the latest is Hoxton Hotel, which has so much energy up there. From Perch to Broken Shaker, to the Ace, there are a plethora of rooftops in DTLA. No it’s not as many as NY, but why would there be more? At the end of the day, NYC has more people and more buildings. But as a person that does the nightlife, our rooftops in DTLA, WeHo, and Hollywood have the vibe, energy, and the people all year round. I used to live in NYC too, and trust our rooftops are nice.