View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
This is so true. In most cities downtown is as good as it gets so they expect the same thing in LA, without realizing that people who had options started heading for the hills and beaches over a hundred years ago...
Good point.....although the idea of LA going head to head with other cities....whether a toronto, chicago, seattle, san francisco....may at first seem a good goal, I see the city as being its own animal.

I wouldn't have said that yrs ago when dtla, midwilshire, hollywood & other older parts of LA were on an extended decline....but I now see the city as a good alternative to traditional urban models where....as you point out.....ppl will visit a dt & not expect much beyond that.

climate plays a part too....the bright sunshine & clear days of LA do affect the city. But even there, who knows exactly what will happen to other ppl & other places? I thought the weather would be reflected in dtla having more rooftop bars & restaurants than a city like NYC....not so....even though such seasonal areas of a business won't be open year round as they can be in LA, NYC still has rooftop places galore.

Still, I appreciate the diversity of LA's hoods more today than I did in the past....however, it's now getting too grungy in a way that no one should be happy with....homelessness everywhere, ppl using the streets as bathrooms...skid row. Same thing, however, is happening in other cities up & down the west coast.

and a stalled proj like oceanwide plaza doesn't look good to any city, LA or otherwise.

happened to be in the ralphs on 9th st a few days ago...I still remember when it first opened wondering where the shoppers would come from. lol. that didn't appear to be an issue from back then around 2008....or based on quite a few shoppers I saw in there recently.

Video Link