View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 6:55 PM

Fantastic Olympic post, Tourmaline, I enjoyed it! (Twice, actually )

Taking note of the Olympic Village and talk about the food, here’s a note from Frank Wykoff, medal winner in the 1932 games, interviewed by the Herald-Examiner in 1972:

Until 1932, teams arrived almost without notice in the city of the competition, were housed privately in boarding facilities, trained on their own, secretly, were transported privately to the various arenas, and customarily, were sent home as soon as their individual events were completed.

"All that ended in Los Angeles," Wykoff said. "Every night at the village, prominent motion picture stars arrived and put on gigantic shows for us all. It was interesting to see the different foods served to foreign athletes and it was surprising, to me, at least, to watch Frenchmen drinking wine with their meals. When you left the village for any reason, there were always big crowds outside, seeking autographs, which were a big thing to us.”

http://frankwykoff2.com/reflections.htm

I’ve always liked this 3-D appearing poster from the 1932 Olympics:

Promotional photo for the 1932 Olympic Games.

Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce Collection, Los Angeles Public Library

Photo from a book written in German - "Olympia 1932".
publisher REEMTSMA CIGARETTENFABRIKEN; Altona-Bahrenfeld

Downtown Los Angeles decorated as the Olympic City in 1932.

LA84 Foundation

Pacific Coast Highway hosted the cycling road race in 1932 Olympics.

LA84 Foundation

In 1932, the Auto Club posted signs to major Olympic venues as an aid to motorists. No word on who the young lady might be.

Automobile Club of Southern California Archives

When oil wells were thought of as decorative.
Olympic rowing competition in Long Beach's Marine Stadium.

LA84 Foundation

One from 1984: At the Opening ceremony in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, a week away from being 30 years ago.
LA84 Foundation