Thread: Halifax Transit
View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 2, 2007, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
But I think what Hillbilly was referring to with rail right-of-ways is that the rail line that comes into Halifax around the basin and through the west end is only one set of tracks, and would need special sidings built so trains could pass each other at certain locations, not to mention how would you work it around existing CN and VIA rail traffic. They would basically need to build a second line parallel to the first... would have been a lot easier had the city not let CN tear the second line up a few years back.
Ottawa's O-Train is one set of tracks the entire way except for the middle station at Carleton University, where the trains are timed to pass each other.
The biggest problem I have with that route is that it runs near everything but not really directly by anything. It is close to Dal but any station would be a couple of hundred metres from the main campus, ditto for SMU. It's not really close to hospitals and the station is on the edge of downtown. It's a very peripheral route I wouldn't put a lot of money into trying to make this a rail corridor.