View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 9:01 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
well, stop continuing this discussion then.

you obviously have different (eg. lower) standards, and need to get out of la to see what real urbanism is about.

7th and fig is just crappy. i half expect to see a vacant montgomery wards, payless shoes, and an orange julius in that pit (but until recently pleasantly surprised to see an outdated macy's). the rest of 7th is just spotty, perhaps only good for "canyon photo-op" and the extremely occasional dinner you'll only go to because your tightly knit group of high-school friends are having a reunion at wockano's.
spring - spotty. couple restaurants here and there. see above.
main - spotty. couple restaurants here and there. see above.

overall - lack of cohesion. dtla is still a destination/event hood. get in, and get out. don't pretend it's suddenly become some established urban nabe just because it's gained some hipster-occupied lofts over the past decade.
All right, fuck it, let's continue the discussion here. Believe me, I've been out of L.A. and seen what real urbanism is about. I've been through Europe, Asia, South America, and North Ameica, and seen the best cities those continents have to offer. And yes, I realize that Los Angeles is not at the legal of those great urban cities. But still, you undersell L.A. too much. I would hardly compare Bottega Louie, Mas Malo, Sugar Fish, or any of the other restaurants on 7th to Wokano. The same with the great restaurants on Spring or Main. Moreover, high end shopping has started opening up on those streets over the last year. Why, just last week, a new men's boutique opened up on Spring, one of a decidedly high end nature. You can't expect downtown to be on the same level of, say, Melrose, yet. It still gentrifying. But it is so much better then you always say it is.