View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Maybe 5 years ago through a act of Congress the station was renamed in honor of former congressman Bill Gray. I think the official name is something like the 'William H. Grey III Station at 30th Street'. When it first happened there was much, much criticism about the name change. It had nothing to do with Gray as a person, people just didn't like having the name changed. In the first year or so the new name was used by some official type people, but fortunately it didn't stick. Even Amtrak doesn't use the William Gray name anymore. I've heard train conductors refer to it as 30th St. Penn station. Many years ago I think that great Mayor, John Street, wanted to rename the station after Ben Franklin, but like most things that mayor wanted to do, it didn't happen.

So if it took a act of congress to change the name I doubt that the paperwork and the bribes/campaign contributions would be worth it to get the upper 'station' renamed. I wonder if that part of the station has an official name?
SEPTA cant collect money for naming rights at a station owned by amtrak. Now 30th street on the blue line is a different story