View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
What's wrong with this picture?

Image courtesy of Westword

Addressing the current state of RTD, Chase Woodruff - Westword has a rather long, meandering retrospective with standard transit 'wisdom' that for the uninitiated may be a worthy read.

Thinking of San Diego as being a very good peer city comparison I checked into their financial performance. In 2018 they had a recover rate of just under 40% excluding depreciation and a recovery ratio of nearly 26% after depreciation is included which would compare to RTD's 18.5%. While not ideal a ratio of 25% should be the absolute minimum.

What's wrong with this picture?

Everyone should ride RTD buses?
Why is that?
Because we say so!
What if it's not convenient or useful to people?
Doesn't matter; everyone should ride da bus.
Have you ever considered making the service more useful to people?
Why would we do that?

Picture some young entrepreneurs meeting with a room full of Venture Capitalists asking for hundreds of millions of $'s using the same logic as transit agencies? Either laughter or total confusion would be the response.

But this is Public Transportation; it's a gift to the poor people.
But poor people are no more likely to use transit if it's not useful.
Well everybody should ride our buses.
I know: because you say so.

Have you ever considered creating a 'public' system that would actually be useful and popular and approach 100% recovery ratio - before depreciation?
Nah, that's too hard. Everybody should ride the bus.
Maybe because there's absolutely nothing wrong with riding a bus. There's a reason the Flatiron Flyer is successful - It runs frequently enough that folks don't have to worry about missing a beat. The FF2 express runs every 10 minutes during rush hours. And if you had the option to get to work like that if you commuted from Denver to Boulder, you would do it too. I now take the FF6 with my new job and I wouldn't trade it for a car and having to sit in traffic any day. This is the story that RTD needs to be running with. I say RTD should be looking to partner with the tech industry to establish pilots for autonomous buses as well.