View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 7:39 AM
Beer Stampede

KC Districts Part 1 - The East Bottoms

Ok everybody!! After a four month hietus, I am back in action. I've got a whole new project lined up for everyone to see. Actually it's a work in progress but I'm off to a good start.

When I first started posting threads about a year ago, my intention was to try to get as many cities in and around the Kansas City area. I initially avoided Kansas City itself because I felt there was enough threads being posted without my contributions being necessary. However, most of these threads obviously focused on Downtown, Crown Center, the Plaza, and the Westport area, and rightly so. There is so much going on in these areas that it would be hard not to want to show them.

I work for an office supply delivery company that takes me all over the city. Last fall I was reassigned to cover some areas that I've never been to in my 37 years of living here, and I started to have a change of heart. I was also inspired by the neighborhoods that were being covered in other cities such as Pittsburgh PA, NYC-NJ area, San Antonio, and most recently, St. Louis. I decided that there were so many neighborhood districts in Kansas City, that I wanted to give a sampling of them for people to see. I had quite a lot of fun taking these pictures and can't wait to get them up on this site.

This first thread is kind of a warm up thread. I posted a map to show the area where it's located. (red). The East Bottoms is a dictrict that at first glance appears to be very gritty and in a very sad state of decline, bad economy not withstanding. However that's not necessarily the case. This area is very much alive. Quite a few manufacturing companies and warehouses are located down here. While the residential neighborhoods have seen better days, it is not a dangerous place to be. Most people keep to themselves down here. I figured it was best however to stay in my car and not do too much walking around. This is not a long thread, but it is quite interesting to say the least. Sorry for all the rambling. Let's enjoy a few pics.

I think this is a water treatment plant. It kind of looks like an old school.

This was an old catholic school!!

This was also part of it.

This building was also on the property!!

The name of this little greasy spoon is Tommy Boy's Cafe. They have some pretty good pie here!!

This gas station has been vacant for as long as I can remember!!

This is a pretty louse picture, but we are looking southwest towards downtown!!

A very nice biker bar!!

Looking out towards the east.

The leaning tower of........my idiodic inability to hold my camara steady while inside my car!!

Thanks everyone!! I will not be long before I post the next set!! I hope you enjoy the Kansas City District/Neighborhood series!!