View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 11:04 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I dunno what the rates will be compared to Vancouver. A similar hotel in Halifax tends to be a bit cheaper, all else being equal.

There's a certain amount of demand for higher end rooms that just happens as cities get bigger, although I am sure part of the idea behind this hotel was convention traffic. Some people stay in whatever hotel is nicest, and $300 a night is hardly ultra-luxury territory. I'd imagine that when a hotel chain like this opens up they take a fairly long view of the business; this hotel has been planned for years, and will not be operating until the fall.

If anything Halifax has had a conspicuous lack of a nicer hotel for a few years. Some developers have complained that there's been too much construction of small downtown hotels when there should have been a new major destination hotel (maybe 500-1,000 rooms) similar to what the Nova Scotian or Lord Nelson were when they opened. It is too bad they couldn't build a taller tower on this site. The Nova Centre pretty much used up the available envelope.