View Single Post
Old Posted May 19, 2015, 10:40 PM
Honored Member

Keith P. makes an interesting point. It is because of the 1906 earthquake that San Francisco has such a large collection of well-built early 20th century architecture.

Halifax has the hydrostone district because of the great Halifax explosion, however, I realize that this does not negate the great loss of life and bodily injury that resulted from the explosion.

I often wonder what Halifax would be like today if it had of avoided the Halifax Explosion. The population would probably be somewhat larger. The north end architect and street layout would be somewhat different. Also, because of the "butterfly effect" many of the people in the Halifax area would be genetically different since there would be marriages and births that would not have otherwise occurred. Over the period of 4-5 generations with such a large percentage of people affected, almost everyone in the Halifax area would be different in some way (many would never have been born, and many others would have been).

Last edited by fenwick16; May 19, 2015 at 11:26 PM. Reason: ... maybe I would make fewer spelling mistakes