View Single Post
Old Posted May 17, 2015, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
This is not intended to be argumentative. I completely agree with your last sentence

I can't understand the hype surrounding New York City. Manhattan is somewhat impressive, however downtown Chicago impresses me more. San Francisco greatly outmatches New York City as far as suspension bridges goes, and even in terms of the skyline.

The surrounding boroughs and suburbs of Manhattan seem to be very bleak to me both in person and on TV. Toronto's boroughs and suburbs are much nicer in spite off the oppressive highways in the GTA (however, the GTA is hardly eye-candy except for maybe Oakville and Burlington).

I am getting off topic but why do people consider New York City to be so impressive? I was completely underwhelmed by New York City when I visited several years ago. On the other hand, I can't think of any city that comes close to matching San Francisco (Halifax is a cool city though in terms of surroundings and history, however I am biased ).
OT, but I have to agree that in all of the cities that I have visited, San Francisco stands out as one of the most architecturally blessed that I have seen. Especially impressive considering how much was lost in the 1906 earthquake and how quickly it was rebuilt.

Toss in the cable cars as a functional transit system dating back to the late 19th century and I can't help but be duly impressed.