View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 11:47 PM

From 2008:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I wonder why HRM needs to be in the real estate business. If you have a high concentration of housing in that development I'm unsure why HRM is even involved.

I suspect this will run aground on the rocks of financial realities. While spaces for artists, community groups (*cough* HCAP *cough*) and the like are nice in theory, unless you are willing to basically supply free space they are not viable. To put that in new construction that isn't an art school or something similar really will be a financial drag on the feasibility.
And this from 2009:

Quote:
I'm concerned because the actual specifics seem very sketchy and the call to use the municipal portion for arts and nonprofit groups sounds like a plan to turn it into a pretty slummy looking place pretty quickly. Given the city's atrocious track record in maintaining its own buildings I would expect it to look pretty half-assed after a short time. Plus if I read the report correctly they are saying that one of the two old school buildings would be donated to a nonprofit to renovate -- good luck with that.

Q.E.D.