View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 2:33 AM
Hindrance to Development

Not a fabrication--a reconstruction. Both buildings were documented before demolition or photographed or sketched at various points in time, and the construction in both cases was based on that documentation. Same goes for the Orleans building on 2nd Street, where Ten22 is located. About a third of the buildings in Old Sacramento are reconstructions. Most are closely based on buildings that occupied the same locations in the 1850s-1870s period that Old Sacramento is intended to interpret, including the Central Pacific passenger depot, the Sacramento History Museum, and the freight sheds along Front Street. One was deconstructed and rebuilt in a different location--Huntington-Hopkins Hardware, which was originally located between 2nd and 3rd Street, now under Interstate 5, rebuilt next to Dingley's Spice Mill (the genuine article) on I Street next to the Railroad Museum. The one-room schoolhouse on Front Street is a total fabrication, and I'm pretty sure Joe's Crab Shack only kind of resembles the 19th century wharf building.

I suppose it's nitpicking, OutlawImages, but the railroad didn't "arrive" in the neighborhood in the 1870s--the Central Pacific Railroad started about 200 feet west of the Ebner Hotel at the foot of Front Street in January 1863, and headed to Utah from there. Sacramento Valley Railroad, which started at Front and R Street, had also extended its line north to K Street by 1861. By the 1870s traffic to and from the other end of that railroad was getting pretty busy, so the Ebner was still a handy choice for travelers, but the city was rapidly growing inland. And from 1870 until the K Street depot was replaced, a horse-drawn streetcar pulled visitors right past the Ebner, for those who didn't want to lug their steamer trunks the whole 200 feet.