View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 4:55 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
Nice job! I agree with everything you wrote. It is such a no-brainer. It's infuriating that city leaders in Phoenix just don't get it.
The frustrating part to me is not that the Streets Dept. doesn't get it. We likely have the worst Streets Dept. of any big City in America. But the fact that some of the more powerful business owners on Roosevelt are super against parallel parking is insane. Metered parallel parking was invented (in OKC) as a way to improve business and it worked! There's tons of studies showing that in an urban retail district, each on street parking spot results in 5x the amount of consumer spending in that district than if it didn't exist.

Its just a maddening conversation:

Me/Other people "Parallel parking provides safety for pedestrians and will help your businesses."

Streets Dept/Business Owners: "No we want a pedestrian friendly area, not parking thats for the 'burbs!"

Me/Other people: "Oh sorry, perhaps you've misunderstood what we meant. Here's a pile of studies and examples from awesome cities. See, isnt that cool?"

Streets Dept/Business Owners: "Nope! We dont want it. We made up our minds already"