View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 4:05 AM

I've been in James Bay in a boat. And you can go whale watching! In fact, I saw belugas in the Moose River near Moosonee. But small low-flying airplanes will often see a pods of belugas when flying over James Bay. I've flown over James Bay in a bushplane but didn't see them but the view of the water and coast was incredible from up above.

Back to the Moose River, the belugas whales will often go up and down the river to about where Moosonee is with the tides.

The scenery of the last part of the Moose River, the final 25kms before it goes into James Bay is really nice. Some huge sandbar islands that you can spend the day at in Summer and go swimming. Also many large islands including Moose Factory Island that many people live on or Charles Island which has Tidewater Provincial Park. Some of the islands you see in the distance look like they are sinking, an optical illusion I'm told when the tides go in and out.

I've always wanted to visit Hudson Bay and places such as Peawanuck or Fort Severn. I know a few people who have been to those places but they are very expensive to get to. The people I know went up because they either work in health care or did a project in Polar Bear Provincial Park.

I have to add that Ontario does have large lakes, it has a huge number of smaller lakes. I don't know of many other places where so many lakes exist other than Quebec.