View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 15, 2011, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Actually there's the Chicago Temple Building which is 568 feet tall. It's the tallest church building in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Certainly not in the traditional sense, but very much a church in the Chicago sense.
Very cool building in my opinion, but definitely a building and not considered to be the tallest church in the world. Riverside Church is considered to be the tallest in the US and 3rd tallest in the New World.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Not much compared to others in this thread, but its huge compared to the surrounding sea of frame houses and three flats. You can see it from just about any elevated location for miles around.
That's the thing about these old neighborhood churches, they were intended to dominate their surroundings... they were the centers of the neighborhoods... basically the very reason the ethnic neighborhoods existed in the cities of the northern US. And that's what makes it such a shame when they are torn down. They truly represent the histories of our cities. I love those old Polish churches like the St. Hyacinth Basilica you posted. I spent my early years in an old Polish neighborhood in Erie, PA, that was dominated by Saint Stanislaus (not even in the top 10 tallest in the city, yet still imposing).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/catholicsanctuaries/