View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Impressive postcard of the YMCA in Pasadena.

ebay

Fantastic peaked gable/roof on the right. I don't think I've ever seen one so pointy. ouch!
Does anyone know where this was located in Pasadena?
(maybe we've discussed it before...but I certainly don't remember this rather unique building)
According to the October 4, 1910 edition of the Los Angeles Herald, the YMCA building in Pasadena was at Raymond Avenue and Ramona Street.
I found this clipping through a great article on chandlermuseum.org. It has the story below, and several other clippings from old newspapers
relating to the fundraising.

California Digital Newspaper Collection

Here's another postcard of the building.

www.usgwarchives.net

It doesn't look like Raymond Avenue and Ramona Street actually intersect anymore (if they ever did). The location would be near Pasadena's Memorial
Park, so the YMCA building would have been a near neighbor of the old public library written about by sopas ej back in post #4465. The postcard
below shows the YMCA's building at 235 E Holly Street, which is about a block away from Raymond Avenue, and backs onto Ramona Street. It's dated
by the seller as 1950s. I've been trying to work out when it replaced the building above. A 1987 article in the LA Times discusses the proposed closure
of this facility, and describes it as a "76-year-old building", which would date it as one year younger than the building above. Maybe they meant that
a YMCA building had been there that long.

eBay

This building's still there, although it's lost the balconies on the right.