View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 8:14 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I find the South End to be a mixed bag. A lot of it depends on what you include in what end of town but the areas south of South Street don't have a lot of services or convenient transportation connections and for now the gap is only growing. Consider how much south Queen or Inglis have improved compared to Gottingen or Agricola. Farther south toward Point Pleasant there are probably fewer shops than there were in the 70's and 80's as some convenience type stores have closed down over the years.

The deep South End is ground zero for NIMBYs and they are happy to limit development even if it means the area is so sparse that most people don't have shops and services within walking distance. Their ideal seems to be a detached Victorian house with 2 cars parked in front, with lots of recreational greenspace nearby. I see why this could be attractive from an individual or household perspective but I don't think it scales to the city level.
One of the decent walkable chunks in South End is Barrington/Inglis/South/South Park. Two grocery stores, pharmacy, auto shop, a couple cafes, a handful of restaurants.

It’s completely different from the North End though — not even close in terms of “buzzy” locations.

West of South Park, South of Inglis, the only thing you can walk to is one of the universities.