View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 1:00 AM

The contents of the Global Sticks plant are going to be auctioned off on Feb. 11. This will end what was a pretty pathetic business story in Thunder Bay. I still wonder if it was a scam myself. Seven million of 'our' money went into it. I am not sure what is going to happen with the building itself. I don't think there would be any problem filling the building once all the contents are cleaned out. A local contractor, fabrication type business or really any business needing large warehouse space would probably love to get their hands on that place for the right price.

On a better note, MNP is expanding in Thunder Bay. They will be occupying a lot more space in the building they are currently in on Amber Dr. (can't remember if its the same one as Grant Thornton, or next door). Renovations have already started, and will take several months.

The city has issued a tender for the reconstruction and four-laning of Valley from about the Expressway up to Pioneer Dr. The stretch of road needs the help. Lights are going to be installed at Strand from what I gather.

Council is also currently discussing a waste strategy that would see a $9 million recycling facility built in the city. The goal would be to divert just over two thirds of garbage from going into the landfill. Not sure on location or timelines yet myself.

Work has begun on converting the former Lowery's store on Red River into a new Northern Credit Union location. I heard someone say there will be space for at least one other tenant in the building. I'm not sure about that, it isn't that big of a place.

Repairs to the floor of the Marriott are on-going, and there is some serious work happening inside now I think. This is after a months long engineering 'conference' of sorts in the building while all the 'experts' tried to figure out how to repair the place. I have heard varying tales of how bad the building is or isn't performing structurally.

It sounds like another north core building is receiving a facelift prior to occupancy by one or two businesses. This time its the former T-Bay travel building on Red River. It won't be long before every storefront in the area is open for business at this rate!