View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 11:01 AM

Wish the image were larger but don't I always.

Civic Center aerial looking southeast, 1919

Wonderful aerial looking southeast from about Grand and Temple. Don't think I've ever seen this perspective before, I'm sure I've never seen this specific image before. Taken from a Curtiss biplane. What appears to be two parallel shadows on the right side of the image I think may be simply some of the rigging. Great view of Hill Street above the tunnel and the intersection at Court Street. Also above Temple the split of Hill Street with the roadbed jogging right and up over Fort Moore Hill and the P&E tracks bending left and into Hill Street tunnel number 2. The Hall of Records (here maybe less than ten years old), the County Courthouse and the Post Office building. The relocated high school building is here in the lower left and just a peek at the new high school building at the left edge. The WCTU building is up and scolding and I guess I never appreciated how old the Temp-Hill Apartments were, but there they are at Temple and Hill Street.

Photograph by George Watson, courtesy of the Watson Family Photographic Archive

<a href="http://www.lamag.com/citythink/citythinkblog/2013/08/06/citydig-above-los-angeles-in-1919" rel="nofollow">www.lamag.com/citythink/citythinkblog/2013/08/06/citydig-...</a>

Last edited by MichaelRyerson; Aug 14, 2013 at 3:32 PM.