View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 17, 2010, 7:58 PM
Cat Enthusiast

The new building has exactly enough beds to let the university break even on dorm beds when those four dorms are torn down. But, just like Paty, I don't see Rose being torn down in the next five years. Paty was supposed to be torn down like two years ago, but that didn't happen because the school needed the space.

Though, I will say that Rose is more likely to be torn down than Paty is. Last school year, and this coming year, I'll be living on the 10th floor of Rose. Every time I see the maintenance people in the elevators, they look exhausted. I've asked them before about the status of the building and they say there's no repairing it, it's impossible. The costs of renovating the building to modern standards of health and safety FAR outweigh the costs of building a new stat of the art building in it's place (hence this new project).

And yes, 7 stories is enough, but the thing is gonna have to be massive. To give you some perspective, the entire Ridgecrest South complex has 968 beds and Tutwiler has 1,058 beds.

I imagine that construction of this building will take up the entire Rose Towers/Riverside north parking lot and will have some kind of parking structure. It's definitely gonna look something ominous as you drive down Jack Warner, or down Rice Mine.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State