View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 10:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I have heard the saying that the real New York is south of Houston St. from people who live their.
Usually what people meant by that was the lack of a "touristy" feel Downtown, although that is hard to distinguish these days. This area of lower Manhattan, south of Wall Street is the original New York (or New Amsterdam if you like).

But what you should know is there are millions of people, from Brooklyn to Queens, and even the Bronx, who will tell you that the real New York is not in Manhattan at all, and I tend to agree with those people, having lived in 4 of the 5 boroughs. Manhattan may be the heart, but the soul of the city is in its outer boroughs, where the vast majority of the more than 8 million live real lives. One of the things about living in Manhattan is that you don't get the complete New York experience - you can live your whole life there, and not have to spend any reasonable amount of time in the other boroughs. If you live in the boroughs, you will have to come into the "city" at some point - via bridge, subway, tunnel, or ferry.

Anyway, as the original heart of the city, this area of lower Manhattan has a tradition of new life being breathed in with the old, even going back to the days of the WTC and Chase. As dense as it is, there always seems to be new construction going on, these days more than ever. I'm really looking forward to what happens here. The best thing for me would be a completely new tower rising up on this part of the skyline to join the classics.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.