Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Has anyone heard of Pierpoint Landing?

Long Beach
aerial/1964

http://portoflongbeach.blogspot.com/...ttraction.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
I first visited Pierpoint when I was in Grade School...we took a boat trip around the harbor.

Pierpoint Landing was located on the western edge of what is now Pier F at the Port of Long Beach. It is indeed west of the 710 Freeway, but east of where the Pontoon Bridge was (the Pontoon was where the Gerald Desmond is now). If you look up Pier F Ave., Long Beach, on a map program, you'll see where it was. The land is now occupied partially by Jacobsen Pilot Services and the Port's security control center, and partially by a container terminal.
Here's how Pier F looks today.

Google Maps

Back in 1953, Pier F only went as far as Pierpoint Landing.

Historic Aerials

By 1972, Pier F had been extended to its current length. Pier G can also be seen on the right.

Historic Aerials

I found this undated flyer on Ebay.

Ebay

I've done my best to read the text above the boats:

"Here are some of the boats in the Pierpoint Sport Fishing Fleet. They are 65 feet long, cruising at fast, comfortable speeds with well-stocked galleys and comfortable accommodation. Pierpoint skippers are veterans of the sea who know the fishing grounds. Deep-sea catches include albacore, yellowtail, barracuda, bass, bonito, many other varieties. Pierpoint year raved deep-sea fishing is a "must!" Don't miss this big thrill!"