View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 6:01 AM

Still thinking out loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
Those are all good points, and for the record I welcome criticism. I'll try to address your concerns here:
1. If Union becomes the main station again, there will be a direct link. If not, a merging of the Brockville and Hawkesbury Lines will make the link more direct.
2. Given the uncertain future of the current bus station, I tried not to tie any one station too closely too it.
3. I think that would certainly be a future possibility. I ended the line at Lorrain because I based the plan on current conditions described in civic documents. My specific source for that route is the Gatineau Rapibus plan.
4. Also a possibility given regional and light metro trains would have same track gauge.
5. I'd estimate the connection would already be pretty fast (20-25 minutes??). I tried not to privilege certain areas over others.
6. Melrose could certainly be moved further west.
7. I based that route on the City of Ottawa plans for the Hospital Link. I think their plans call for a station just north or northeast of CHEO but one option calls for bringing the route under the overpasses that connect the buildings and putting the station between CHEO and the General. So that could certainly be a possibility.

The one thing that would need some additional work on implementation is the potential for bottlenecks going through the Bayview-Hurdman section at rush hour. Assuming frequencies on each line similar to the Canada Line (every 6 minutes), that means a train would need to enter and exit the section at least every two minutes -which is the minimum allowable interval on a manually-operated system and would not allow room for error. For just 3 lines, this is manageable. However, this would also include the regional rail lines, which would end at Bayview if entering from Hurdman or Hurdman if entering from Bayview. The most likely, but a very costly solution would be to keep the Red Line in its own tunnel.
1. Not too sure what you are saying. I am referring to travelers coming from all over eastern and northern Ontario using the train to get to the International Ottawa Airport and vice-versa (no more or very few buses). The concern has to do with reducing car traveling, costly car parking, meals and lodging.
2. The bus station, as suggested by Larry O’Brien, could be part of the train station complex, as it is often seen in Europe (think Barcelona).
3. Rapibus is concerned with transportation between Gatineau suburbs and to Gatineau downtown federal government offices. What about transportation back and forth from Northern Quebec. Newfoundland and Eastern Canada without having to transfer in Montreal? (Think 20 years from now).
4. City of Ottawa owns the POW Bridge. A prime linkage from the Rapibus to Bayview yards and Transitway transfers.
5. Financially and tourist-wise (think $$$), the Congress Centre has to be considered a privileged and rapid airport-downtown route (although the zillion taxis monopolizing the Col.By Driveway would disagree)
6. Ottawa Civic is on top of a hill (Gloucester Fault) and lots of buildings spread around. An underground station is indicated.
7. Ottawa General is a campus which involves CHEO, the Rehab, U of O Faculty of Medicine, Ottawa General and the Perley Rideau Veterans Health Centre. Moreover, it involves a dense developed area where the Tri-Service Hospital used to be plus many schools and a mature built-up area from Alta Vista to St.Laurent/Russel Rd. It should be a natural south of the train station and the train yards shopping centre.

No arguments. Just responding and still thinking out loud.